Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Where's Jesus? Episode 2!

Meet Chris. He's happy, he's a good dad, he's well dressed, he's eco-friendly, and he works at the Library of Congress. The Library of Congress, even! Should we not all be impressed?



Well, I'm not. Chris is probably a decent enough guy, and I imagine he would have to be very disciplined in order to achieve what he has; but when given two minutes to summarize his life, he says absolutely nothing about Jesus Christ. Nothing at all.

Once again, the "...And I'm A Mormon" series has failed to mention the very Lord of Life, even though the purpose of the series seems to be to show the world how Mormons really are.

Now meet Isaiah. Try not to be blown away by how amazing Jesus is.



When I watch these two videos I cannot help but think about Luke 18:9-14.

"Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 'Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, "God, I thank you that I am not like other men - extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess." And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner." I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.'"

Don't get me wrong - I like most of the Mormons I have met, and I count those as friends (though you probably couldn't tell that based on how long it takes me to respond to their emails - it's ridiculous). However, the Mormon religion - as an institution, not as individuals - seems intent on making itself look good at the cost of giving Jesus the glory that He deserves. He gets some glory, yes - but He is made to be a key character in the story when He is actually the entire point of the story.

Stay tuned, as I will be posting more soon, including a blog on whether Mormonism is a cult or not. You and your mother will both be shocked!

By the way, did you happen to notice the word written on the side of Chris' bicycle shorts?

"Prosperity."

No comments:

Post a Comment