Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Does God Exist?

This is the skeleton of my version of Plato's cosmological argument. I'll put some meat on it later, when I figure out how. Also, I still need to determine all the implications. The definitions in the glossary are mostly my own, except where I've indicated.I welcome criticism, as long as it is kind.

1. If the universe came into existence from non-existence, then its cause must be outside of itself.

1.1 Like all abilities, the ability to bring an object into existence from non-existence requires power.

1.2 An object which is not already in existence has no power at all.

2. The universe came into existence from non-existence.

2.1 An object cannot have more than one age at any given point in time.

2.2 If the universe did not come into existence, but has existed from eternity past, then it has an infinite number of ages simultaneously.

2.2.1 At any given time (t1), the universe would be infinity years old.

2.2.2 At any given time afterward (t2), the universe would be both infinity and infinity + (t2-t1) years old.

2.2.3 Ad infinitum

3. Therefore, the universe must have a cause outside of itself.

GLOSSARY:

Ability: Possesion of requisite qualities for accomplishing a given task.*

Age: An object's duration of existence, from its beginning (if there was one) to the present.

Existence: That list of things which are, regardless of form.

Non-existence: That list of things which are not, regardless of form.

Object: Any thing to which a thought or action might be directed.**

Power: Energy, force or momentum.***

Universe: The collection of matter, energy, and space.

*"ability." Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition. HarperCollins Publishers. 06 Mar. 2012. .

**"object." Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 06 Mar. 2012. .

***"power." Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 06 Mar. 2012. .

No comments:

Post a Comment